The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me...
To comfort all who mourn, To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified."

Isaiah 61:1,2c,3 (New King James Version)

Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Idols.

Most know that holding false idols is one of the big Ten Commandment "no-nos," I have two most readily identifiable in my life. What are they? Well, it's who are they really; Makenna Jo and Cheyenne Rose. Yup. I value them and do more for them than I ever have for God. I'm sure there are other idols, but those two little blessings have turned to idols.
Now, before anyone jumps and says "you're sposta, it's what Mothers do." THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!!! Mother's identify themselves by their children, they become their god. That is PRECISELY the reason that Mom's "die" when their children do. That is why, I believe  losing a child is deemed the worst thing that could happen to someone. Wouldn't the worse thing for a Christian to learn is that their God is dead? Their reason to live truly IS gone because one of their children was their idol, their God and in the process they do not give God the praise he alone deserves they deemed their plan for the child better than his and die to this world with little to hold onto in the next. How do I know this? I'm living it. Is it true for every Mom? No. But, I truly think it might be a running trend in my non scientific poll.
Please don't take this as Mothers shouldn't love their kiddos like there is no tomorrow, they should - and we'll talk about what "love" is in a later post. What I'm saying is children should not be idols, they should not be valued more than the awesome God who gave us them as a blessing. They should be valued as a blessing, and protected, loved on, taught, and disciplined to become God fearing individuals who will walk the walk and talk the talk. Who learn to listen to God's plan and live it out! Mom's need to gain the conviction that our children aren't "ours" nothing of this world is. It's all on lease and not permanent.
THANK GOD!
Tonight, I heard  it said for some our world will be the closest to heaven they ever get, for others it will be the closest to hell. The more I choose to sin, to worship false idols the more I stall my growth as a Christian, in my relationship with God the more I gamble with the chance of this world being the closest to heaven I ever get. The longer I live in pain and confusion searching for the answers to "whys" that aren't mine to have.  When I arrive in the place the Jesus truly lives in my heart, when his words and his desires are on my mind, mouth, and heart and I walk the walk, I will find peace that this earth is the closest to hell I will ever get. It's a struggle, the Devil has a foothold sometimes and it gets welcomed every time I sin.
Tonight, I'm starting with idols. Mentally, it's easier to know Makenna is God's knowing she is literally with him now. Cheyenne is a challenge. The anxiety and fears I have for her draw my heart's ears away from listening to God and hearing how I should work his love into her life. Giving her up to God, sacrificing my dreams for his plan is terrifying. But, it's a parachute moment - only one way to test it out and that's to take the jump. So, I'll pray for her, I'll pray for me - to help me show her God's love, that she has an open heart to receive it. Pray that God gives her just enough and she is both strong and humble enough to endure it.  I'll pray for me, that I could be as strong as Moses mom and symbolically place my baby in the river and know that God has bigger plans for her. I love her, I love Makenna and for each I pray I can accept God's plan for him, for HE is Great.
Life is good. God is Great.

1 comment:

  1. When my children were born, within the first few months, David and I dedicated them to the Lord. Children are a GIFT from God. In the bible, it states that God knew us long before we were conceived and born. We were HIS before we were born. God choses who our moms and dads will be. As a mother, I am a perfect mother for my children as you are for your children. We are just borrowing our children from God is a way to look at it. I don't think I have ever idolized my kids and if I have, then I was wrong. Another ten commandment states that "there shall be no other false god's before me." This talks about ALL idols that we as humans put before God. It could be anything, money, TV, cars, houses, children, etc.... We need a reality check to know that God is the only person we need to be worshiping. We all want what's best for our children. If that is the case, then we NEED to show them the way to Christ! HE is what's best for our kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete